Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Andrew Lockhart Interview

Artist of Faith Interview (Andrew Lockhart):


Montana State University-Bozeman

Bachelor of Fine ArtsGraphic Design

2008 – 2012

  • Creative/Designer at Frank Creative

  • Freelance Designer at Andrew Lockhart Design (ALD)

  • Owner at Rockhart Clothing



What is your faith background?

I grew up in Montana in a Catholic home with 4 siblings. After college I moved to Oregon and became a (Baptist) Christian when I met my wife.  

How does your faith affect your artwork? 

It affects my artwork because I will always look at art as a gift from God. With this gift of creativity we must be grateful and use the talent that we have to create beautiful works of art, with the Lords guidance, that will engage and communicate.  

When did your faith affect your art? 

Ever since my mom told me I had a gift from God when she saw my old drawings. That gave me the motivation to become a better artist and taking advantage of my gift. I remember using whatever I could find around the house to create pieces of art, but was drawing most of the time.

What is your philosophy behind your work, specifically your illustrations?

My philosophy behind my illustrations and / or my art is that whatever I decide to create, it must be true to the concept. The stronger the connection between content and concept the better your message will be. I try to always remember 'content=concept' for my illustrations, meaning the element I'm adding needs to fit in the piece, not just be added to the piece. 



What do you want to say with your art?

I say a lot of things with my art so I guess that's what I am saying: You can communicate anything you can think of using art and that's why creation is one of the most beautiful gifts anyone could ever 
give us. 

Why do you do what you do?

Having 100% freedom to brainstorm is very time consuming and very addicting to me. The process of creation and the endless possibilities of creativity give me peace of mind, and it also gives me a challenge because I need to find all the pieces to the puzzle so-to-speak that make a great piece of artwork, and I love a good challenge. 

What is your hope for your artistic future?

I hope to widen my artistic horizons and hopefully learn or come up with new ideas or new ways to communicate through illustration by experimenting in the conceptual stages of creation. I hope that through my artwork, people can enjoy it and be able to look at art as more than just aesthetics but that there are purposes and meaning in the process of creation and in life as well. 

I learned a lot from my interview with Lockhart and have broaden my outlook on art as a gift to share and please others (be a farmer not a gardener) and to take advantage of the gift of creation we have. He gave me great insight on how to view art from a different point of view and I really liked his 'concept = content' idea because I think he is correct when the concept is really strong and the content is beautifully planned and executed according to the concept, the message will intensify exponentially.


http://andrewlockhartdesign.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment